Current:Home > InvestNewsom says California will intervene in court case blocking San Francisco from clearing encampments -Capitatum
Newsom says California will intervene in court case blocking San Francisco from clearing encampments
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 05:10:47
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Tuesday the state will intervene in an ongoing federal court case that’s barred San Francisco from cleaning up homeless encampments until more shelter beds are available, saying the judge has gone too far and is preventing the state from solving a critical problem.
“I hope this goes to the Supreme Court,” Newsom said. “And that’s a hell of a statement coming from a progressive Democrat.”
Newsom made his remarks during an interview with news outlet Politico in Sacramento. He previously blasted U.S. Magistrate Judge Donna Ryu in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle but had not disclosed his administration’s plan to file an amicus brief supporting the city’s efforts to overturn the ruling.
Ryu granted the injunction in December after homeless advocates argued the city had been violating the law by clearing homeless encampments without offering shelter and improperly throwing out peoples’ belongings such as cellphones and medication.
Her decision has drawn rebuke from Democratic leaders in San Francisco, who argued in court last month for a reversal of the decision. They say the ruling has made it nearly impossible to clean up the city’s streets and that more people are refusing shelter even when it is available.
Newsom, the former San Francisco mayor, said he’s personally worked on cleaning up three encampments near San Francisco but that his staff stopped him from cleaning up a fourth due to a court ruling. More broadly, Newsom said federal judges are ruling with a “perverse interpretation” of a court ruling stemming from a case in Boise, Idaho, that said cities can’t prosecute people for sleeping on the streets if they have nowhere else to go.
“I think they’ve gone too far,” he said.
California is home to roughly one-third of the nation’s population of homeless people, creating a problem that has dogged Newsom since he took office. Newsom touted that his administration has spent billions aimed at cleaning up streets and housing people but acknowledged the stubbornness of the problem.
“People’s lives are at risk; it’s unacceptable what’s happening on the streets and sidewalks,” he said. He added, “We’re now complicit, all of us, at all levels of government and all branches of government.”
In the wide-ranging interview, Newsom reiterated his support for Democratic President Joe Biden to run for reelection. He has repeatedly said he has no plans to challenge Biden or run for president, instead traveling the country as a surrogate for Biden. He’s also been raising money and campaigning alongside Democrats in Republican-led states, a move that also serves to build his national network of political support.
Newsom also said he plans to travel to China in the coming weeks to discuss joint efforts to tackle climate change. He provided no additional details about the trip.
Newsom was asked about the newly disclosed effort by Silicon Valley billionaires to build a new city between San Francisco and Sacramento. He said the project’s leaders need to win back trust from officials if they hope to move forward after keeping the project secret for years as they bought up massive amounts of land in Solano County.
“They start a little behind in my book” because of all the intrigue and questions created by their secrecy, Newsom said. “So there’s a lot more doubt now and a lot less trust.”
He added people were asking him, “What the hell is going on?” and that he learned who was behind the project just minutes before it was reported in the New York Times.
He declined to offer comments on the substance of the proposal and said he will meet with one of the project’s representatives next week, though he didn’t say whom.
veryGood! (63)
Related
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Infant dies days after 3 family members were killed in San Francisco bus stop crash
- Megan Fox dishes on calling off engagement with 'twin soul' Machine Gun Kelly
- Kentucky couple tried to sell their newborn twins for $5,000, reports say
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- The Utah Jazz arena's WiFi network name is the early star of March Madness
- Save 40% on the Magical Bodysuit That Helped Me Zip up My Jeans When Nothing Else Worked
- Maryland labor attorney becomes first openly gay judge on 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Our Place Cookware: Everything To Know about the Trending Kitchen Brand
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Who has the best AI? Tech expert puts ChatGPT, Gemini and Perplexity to the test
- Execution in Georgia: Man to be put to death for 1993 murder of former girlfriend
- NY state asks court not to let Trump forgo $454M bond during fraud case appeal
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Congrats, you just got a dry promotion — no raise included
- Riley Strain Case: Missing College Student’s Mom Shares Tearful Message Amid Ongoing Search
- Will Apple's upgrades handle your multitasking? 5 things to know about the new MacBook Air
Recommendation
9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
Budget Office report credits immigration and spending deals with improved outlook despite huge debt
Kentucky parents charged with attempting to sell newborn twin girls
Former Cardinals executive Terry McDonough has been accused of choking his neighbor
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
Head of fractured Ohio House loses some GOP allies, but may yet keep leadership role amid infighting
'Real Housewives of Potomac' star Karen Huger involved in car crash after allegedly speeding
Dan Schneider Breaks Silence on Docuseries Quiet on Set With Apology